Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Introductory Post

Hi, my name is Jaimiee.  I currently teach pre-k at a preschool. Previously I have taught first and third graders over a fourteen year time span.  I am preparing myself for my second round of public school teaching.  Which I hope will happen this fall.
 
I have three daughters that keep me very busy.  When I have time I like to kayak.  I also like to watch old movies.  I love film noir movies. Though I have a soft spot for Doris Day films, too.

When I started thinking of movies to watch that dealt with teaching I had in mind an old movie but I couldn't come up with the title.  However, it was about a professor who had to retire and felt that he had nothing left to offer.  So, his answer was to end his life. As he is stockpiling pills a young married couple come to live in his attic.  The war was going on and there was a housing shortage.  The young girl gets the professor involved in teaching the wives about different topics and a friendship blooms.  The professor helps the young wives become "educated" and the wives help the professor feel useful again.  I think what I see in this movie is that teachers need students as much as students need teachers.  Throughout the movie both professor and the young girl continually teach one another.  The professor also learns that his students, the wives, have a lot to teach him about teaching.  He even reflects on how he taught in the past and how he is currently teaching the wives.  This movie just makes you think about teaching and how it changes and as a teacher you are always evolving.

So, since I couldn't remember the title I re-watched  Summer School, with Marc Harmon.  This movie came out in 1987, the year I graduated high school.  This movie is about the "lazy" students needing to pass the "test" and will the "lazy" teacher get them to learn in time.   It is a fun movie,  and has a key line  that has to do with the test isn't everything.  Though all the students don't pass the test, the gains made are remarkable.  And the teacher realizes that he has a lot to offer his students.  





2 comments:

  1. Hi Jaimiee,

    Welcome to the course and thanks for your post! I hope you get the teaching spot you are looking for this fall!

    I like both your movie choices, but the first one sounds really intriguing to me. It reminds me a little bit of a Bergman movie, Wild Strawberries. That is about an old professor, too, but slightly different than yours. But the point is a good: we get older, the kids stay the same age! That is an adjustment we all have to make as teachers and I think it's really interesting that you are pointing to it.

    If you would like to use this first movie for the final post, let me know, and we can try to crowdsource the title on Facebook and other places!

    I look forward to working with you in this course!

    Kyle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comments. I would love to use that movie if possible. How and what is crowdsourcing?

    ReplyDelete